Tuesday, September 26, 2006

McCartney insists: "I'm doing fine"

Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has insisted that he is "doing fine" following his recent break-up with his second wife Heather Mills.

His comments follow a report in the Daily Mirror claiming that the 64-year-old singer had told fellow guests at a weekend party that he didn't know how to come to terms with the end of his four-year marriage to Mills, 38.

But at a press conference to launch his new classical album yesterday, McCartney insisted: "I'm doing fine thank you. It's OK."

Although McCartney did not directly refer to his marriage split during the conference, he added that his music had helped him to cope over recent months.

"I'm enjoying music. It's something I love to do. It's something that sustains me. So I'm enjoying it, finishing this project off and also the next one," said the star.

McCartney also told reporters that his new album Ecce Cor Meum (Behold My Heart) embodied the "spirit" of his first wife Linda, whom the musical work is dedicated to.

The singer explained that the death of his first love from breast cancer in 1998 was the reason the album, which has lyrics in both English and Latin, had taken eight years to complete.

"When she died, it stalled me, it took a year or so before I could get back into it. So her spirit is very much in this," McCartney said.