Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Russell Crowe quits outback movie

Russell Crowe revealed yesterday that he had dropped plans to star in a new movie about the Australian outback because he didn't do "charity work" for major studios.

The New Zealand-born Australian actor was due to star with fellow Ozzie Nicole Kidman in the forthcoming Baz Luhrmann production, which has yet to be given a title.

Crowe has since been replaced by another Australian actor, Hugh Jackman, the Reuters news agency reports.

Explaining his decision to pull out of the film, Russell told reporters while promoting his new movie, A Good Year, in New York: "I just didn't want to work on that movie in the type of environment that was being created because of the needs of the budget.

"I do charity work, but I don't do charity work for major studios," he added.

Meanwhile, Crowe has also hit back at press reports that he's planning to play his late friend Steve Irwin in a film about the Crocodile Hunter's life.

"It's appalling to me and offends me very deeply," said Crowe, commenting yesterday on the reports in an interview with television show Extra.

"It's so awful that I have to deal with millions of people thinking I would dance on my friend's grave. Yes, I do think there should be a movie made about Steve but I'm not the sort of person who will be doing commerce on my friend's grave," he added.