Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Stage door lures back Law

Hollywood heartthrob Jude Law could be giving Tinseltown a break to focus more on stage acting.

The 'Alfie' star has explained he is more of a theatre actor at heart, despite having huge success at the box office with hits such as 'Enemy at the Gate' and 'Closer'.

Now Law is looking for the right play to tickle his fancy so he can go back to treading the boards, claiming performing on stage gives you 'a different taste in your mouth from film'.

He said: 'I grew up considering myself a theatre actor. It was what I aspired to be as a kid, where I started out.

'Film came into my life after, through my theatre work, so I'm always looking for the right play and the right time. I hope that time might be soon.'

Law admitted the lure of Hollywood pay-packets was too much to resist, but that he is still hoping to return to his roots.

'I wanted to come back and act, but for personal and economic reasons I had to forgo the opportunity,' he added.

Young Vic artistic director David Lan has confirmed he has held talks with Law over a possible role in a production of 'Hamlet', which would be the London-born actor's first stage role since the West End production of 'Doctor Faustus' in 2002.